Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you cannot always protect your pet. I have found with difficulty that not only live indoor plants pose a danger to your pet, but also artificial plants.
It was Christmas, and for many years I had been removing tinsel, live poinsettia plants, live Christmas cacti, live mistletoe, and any other potentially dangerous objects that season. I have studied the safety of my pets during the holidays, but I have never seen the dangers of artificial plants.
I am writing this article to commemorate my Maine Coon cat, Miranda. She has never been a person who gnaws on artificial plants, so I didn’t expect this to be the reason for her discomfort. She has been skipping meals, losing weight, cleaning herself from time to time and maintaining herself. My husband and I decided that she needed to see the vet. She was severely dehydrated, so they kept her in the clinic. At first they didn’t find anything wrong with her, and the blood test results were good, but she still didn’t eat. The vet put a sight in her throat to see if there was anything in her esophagus, but they found nothing.
She will stay in the clinic during Christmas and we will pick her up the next day. Before we went to pick her up, the vet called and asked if we had any artificial plants that she could eat. I have an artificial arrangement on the coffee table, but it doesn’t look like it has been chewed. Miranda coughed out a small stick stuck in her throat that morning. The doctor did not see it during the examination. It comes from a plant on the coffee table.
She is on her way to recovery! It took her several weeks to resume eating; her throat was stung by the stick. She seemed to be back to normal, but that was misleading.
Two months after bringing her home, my husband and I hurriedly sent her back to the vet. I found that she was lying on the floor, having difficulty breathing, out of breath every time she breathed. She suffers from congestive heart failure. The liquid makes her breathing hard. She was in pain, and the vet thought she could not survive. We made a heartbreaking decision to relieve her suffering.
When talking to the veterinarian, she felt that the stick in her throat before made her heart hurt. Over time, the fluid kept accumulating until she could not breathe freely.
It is difficult to know what dangers are in your home. I can’t bring my Miranda back, but I can help others avoid making the same mistakes. Check all your plants, whether artificial or real, and make sure that your cat or dog is not harmed because they think it is something they can eat or play with. This will only take you a few minutes, but the reward will be a happy, healthy and safe pet!