Gardening for most of the people is a great activity that lightens up their mind and fills in a new strength. This is because, when a person inhales fresh air surrounded by plants after a hectic schedule, they feel happy and contented. Moreover, gardening is particularly a pastime or a hobby for working professionals, and today everybody wants to Go Green. Garden landscaping is the very first trait that grabs the attention of passersby or guests visiting your home. For homeowners who have a great zeal for gardening, Desert Gardens have evolved as a recent trend. You may now imagine a “Garden in Desert” and completely enhance the way your garden looks.
Things To Be Considered
No doubt, deserts are home to several species and plants that further make it compulsory for you to explore and collect as many varieties as you can. One of the amazing facets of desert plants are variations that help these plants survive even in harsh environment.
In general, desert plant has two variations with one:
– Having ability to accumulate and store water
– And another one with potency to minimize loss of water
Desert plants are quite different from other plants when it comes to appearance and features. Some of the widely used plants in desert gardens that can add dimensions to your garden include saguaro, barrel cactus, old man cactus, prickly pear, dragon tree, fishhook, desert spoon, aloe, Joshua and yucca. Desert plants are known for retaining moisture by minimizing loss of water through leaf surface and this further make it one-stop option for your desert gardens.
Steps To Striking And Compelling Desert Gardens :
1. To begin with, you must first acclimatize to the property of desert soil. The term “Desert” often brings to your mind an image of dry and hot place where camel is the only animal that lives without any regret. Not camel, but you can frame the rest of the look in front of your home exactly the way it appears in deserts. You can fill up garden area with desert soil to complement the growth of desert plants.
2. This form of gardening or landscaping is often referred to as xerogardening or xeriscaping that involves elimination of water use for growing plants. One can consider having desert botanical gardens if supply of water in the vicinity in less or willing to save water utilized by other plants.
3. Major benefit of xeriscaping is that it conserves water and do not require custodian to devote a significant amount of time for maintenance. In fact, it only requires you to possess sufficient knowledge of plants that can grow in desert area. Trailing rosemary is among the most opted plants that can grow up to 2 feet in height and 5 feet in width.
Desert garden is the best place to invigorate and enliven up your body as well as mind. Bermuda grass grows best in desert area. So, you could consider sowing Bermuda grass in Desert gardens and then, add plants of your choice. But if you want to build a real Desert Garden then you should not use turfgrass in your garden, or, at least, limit the size of lawn areas as much as possible and use native grasses. There are many design alternatives less water consumer.